Before reading the YouTube tips, first understand the benefits behind non-profits investing in video here.
1. When setting up a Youtube account it is easiest to go through a Gmail account. Once you’ve set yourself up, fill in as much information as possible about your organisation! Make yourself stand out! For more details on this process, click here.
2. Once you’ve set up your Youtube account, sign up with the Youtube Nonprofit Program and they will provide you with all the resources you need, including a ‘donate’ button, call-to-action overlays, live streaming, production resources and more! For more information on how to sign up, click here.
3. Time to make a video! Be sure to create a video that captures the story of your cause and can reach a wide audience – be wary of creating a video with humour or sensitive images as it may work against you. Don’t have the resources to make your own video? Not a problem! Video Volunteers are another youtube program that will help you develop your video. For more information on Video Volunteers, click here.
4. Optimize your reach! Give your videos a simple title, have relevant tags and upload consistently! It is also important to engage with your audience by having a comments section available on your channel. For more details on this process, click here. There are also tools available to measure your performance, for more information, check out Youtube Analytics here.
5. Join communities with people of similar interests and participate in conversations i.e. develop relations with bloggers and take an interest in their posts. Bloggers and people in online communities can be valuable sources for spreading your online campaign. More details here.
Follow the link to see which Non-profits are using YouTube for their campaigns and organisation. Learn more here!
Finally, for a more indepth step-by-step guide to Youtube, click here!