Reddit, also known as “the front page of the internet”, is a social networking and news website that works on a system of subreddits. It is the most interactive social media platform out there and it would greatly benefit non profits to join the Reddit community. Not familiar with Reddit? Click here for a basic guide!
1. It can be difficult to gain a following on Reddit, so before you consider starting a Reddit profile, we recommend browsing subreddits similar to your organisation. For example, there is a subreddit specifically for non profits that is a helpful starting point: /r/nonprofits.
2. When building your involvement in the Reddit community, you need to consider the upvote/ downvote system whenever you post. It’s important to post links and engage in comments with relevant content to the subreddit category you are engaging in – Redditors will not stand for anything less! For more information on Reddit etiquette, click here.
3. Once you are established on Reddit, you can set up a “Reddit Donate” button. It is important to note that this feature is currently available for U.S. non profits only. For more information on the terms and conditions, click here. For a direct link to set up a Donate button, click here.
4. Now that you’re familiar with the Reddit system, why not set up your own subreddit? This way you can post your own content and post links to articles relevant to your cause to help generate discussion! For a step-by-step guide to setting up your own subreddit, click here.
5. You can build on your Reddit community by being involved in or intiating a Meetup or Global reddit Service day! Meetup is a network that connects online communities through face-to-face meetups! It provides you with a great opportunity to both connect with your existing community and expand your reach! For more information on Meetup, click here. Global reddit Service Day (GrSD) is an annual event for volunteers to help out their local community. Local subreddits plan a variety of different service activities, which take place on Oct 5th each year! This would be another great opportunity to get your non profit organisation out there! For more information on GrSD, click here.